The land for Mt. Calvary Cemetery, Lansing, was purchased on September 20, 1865 for $3,200. It was surveyed March 3, 1869, and a map was drawn for G.T. Nells, C.E. The first burial took place on June 12, 1869. The cemetery officially opened on June 20, 1869.
In 1979, William (Mike) Sachse, a professional engineer and member of the cemetery board, undertook preparation of an updated area map and maps of the individual sections. Up to the present time, there have been approximately 6,900 burials at the cemetery.
Mt. Calvary Cemetery is under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas. The cemetery office is located on the cemetery grounds. A new office building was constructed in the fall of 1992. The new building was occupied and opened in January 1993.
In July 2016, daily oversight and operation of the cemetery was transferred to Catholic Cemeteries of Northeast Kansas, a ministry of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas.